Saturday, January 29, 2011

Canon PowerShot S95

A few nice powershot images I found:

Canon PowerShot S95
powershot

Image by kevindooley
I picked up the Canon PowerShot S95 to have a top end digital point and shoot (PNS) for travel and convenience.

It’s functionally equivalent to the Canon G11, but it fits in your pocket, really. Colors and focus seem good, and it has a fun tilt shift function.

This shot is out an airplane window at dawn, somewhere over New Mexico.

Canon Powershot G7 review
powershot

Image by kevindooley
Subtitle: My own damn fault (Explore)

I had a hard time deciding when I bought a new camera a year ago whether to go with DSLR or "single body". I knew from experience that carrying around a camera that can’t fit in your pocket was a pain in the ass, but I also sensed I might be interesting in higher end equipment at some point. I decided on the single body Canon Powershot G7, which I viewed as the best single-body available. (Yes, I bought the best of the tube Sony TVs rather than a big screen and I think my picture is better!) Since some of you may be considering a G9, this review may be still useful.

Pros:
* Not a lightweight, but can indeed fit in pants pocket (barely).
* Very good landscape photos.
* Absolutely killer macro mode.
* Good battery life.
* Nice "manual" controls, easy to learn and use
* Lens fully retracts
* Incredible dof at f/2.8 in macro mode
* Very good image stabilization, autofocus
* Great digital zoom
* 10MP really helps when cropping

Cons:
* No swivel screen
* Mediocre DOF at f/2.8 on regular mode
* No RAW (they fixed this–G9 has RAW mode)
* Can only buy a few add-on lenses
* Can only go to ISO200 reliably; built-in flash sucks
* Reliability issues?

The final "con" I don’t know who to blame. In the last two weeks the damper on the zoom switch has busted (have seen this complained about elsewhere on web); and autofocus seems to fail now sometimes, which freezes all the other controls and usually means a reboot. All of these problems started when I brought the camera on this golf outing. I put it in the golf cart unprotected and I think I underestimated how much bouncing around there was… Oh well, now I have an excuse to upgrade…

Bid on the latest Name Brand Merchandise where the price goes down with every bid at Dubli.com



Canon, PowerShot

No comments:

Post a Comment